Central Pacific No. 48, built at the Sacramento Shops, was placed into service September 23, 1868 as a 4-6-0T locomotive. It was rebuilt as a 4-4-0, nearly a completely new locomotive, and placed into service April 23, 1883 with a tender. The locomotive was renumbered 1366 in 1891. It served as a prototype design for additional 4-4-0 locomotives built at the Sacramento Shops in the 1880s.
Original measurements: 1 photographic print; 3-3/4 x 4-3/4 in.
Rights are owned by California State Railroad Museum. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.